Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 2002 18:25:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        fergus <ttz@blahdeblah.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: kernel panic from vinum during 'restore'

On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, fergus wrote:

> i have a crash dump for this now if anyone is interested.  it's not
> exactly the same trace as it seems to originate from a VOP_LINK request
> this time but i guess it's the same problem.

To be honest, it sounds like something is simply leaking kernel
memory/address space.  What you might want to do is have vmstat -m looping
with a sleep in the background, writing to a log file, then see if you can
figure out which number goes up, but never down..  Maybe something is
leaking memory that previously wasn't.  You shouldn't even need to crash
the machine to figure it out, I think (although with a serious kernel
memory leak scenario, that might be unavoidable :-).

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories