Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2019 10:33:23 +1030
From:      "O'Connor, Daniel" <darius@dons.net.au>
To:        bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Permissions when moving storage devices between hosts

> On 27 Oct 2019, at 03:09, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:
> The plan was to re-run the bonnie test on the second host to see if =
the
> choice of host made much difference. Alas, after mounting the card, =
all
> owners/groups are freebsd/freebsd and I can't get permission to write
> any files, at least as a regular user. The usernames are the same on
> both hosts and I'm hesitant to try mucking about with ownerships.
> It does not seem possible to simply add world-write permissions to the=20=

> test directory using chmod +w as root. =20

Is it mounted read/write?
ie show the output of 'mount'.

Also note that the filesystem only stores user IDs not user names.

ie you might have a user called 'freebsd' on two systems but with =
different IDs and if you move an FS between them you can have issues.

That said, root should be able to change the permissions (or just write =
since being root skips permission checks). If it can't then it seems =
more like it isn't mounted read/write for whatever reason (write protect =
tab on the SD card set by accident?)

--
Daniel O'Connor
are so many of them to choose from."