Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:25:41 -0200
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>, freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: am2 MBs - 4g + SCSI wipes out root partition

On Monday 13 October 2008 11:57:04 Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 07:39:44AM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> > JoaoBR wrote:

> >> let narrow this a little bit, are you talking about AM2 sockets?
> >>
> >> because on AM2 the MPT drv is faulty as AHC, AHD and AACD with =3D> 4G=
igs

> > Sounds to me like this is a problem either with AM2 systems, or an
> > infrastructure problem in the OS that is triggered by these AM2 systems.
> > Either way, it's not a SCSI driver problem.
>
> Fully acknowledged.  I'll add an entry to my Wiki describing this
> compatibility problem, but it *will not* fall under the SCSI subsection.
>
> It sounds as if there's an implementation/design problem either in
> FreeBSD's hardware compatibility support for AM2 (probably something
> very low-level) systems, or there is a bug with these Gigabyte boards;

good, but it is not only gigabyte, I experienced it on Asus, Abit, Epox and=
=20
MSI  =20

all this MBs have in common that when 4Gig is installed the full 4gig are=20
avaliable to the Os, on former S939 arquitecture, depending on mem hole=20
remapping setting in BIOS there was +/-3.5gig or 4.+Gig  available for amd6=
4,=20
mostly the remapping feature was not existent and then there was always=20
+/-3.5 Gig available

> it could be either, or possibly both.  It might work in Linux because,
> for all we know, Linux may have workarounds in place for whatever the
> problem may be.  We simply do not know at this point.

=2D-=20

Jo=E3o