Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 22:17:38 -0400
From:      Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>
To:        "Shannon Wheeler" <swheeler@altech.ab.ca>, "Mark Ovens" <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, "Adam Ford" <adam@attack.fordys.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mounting an MS-DOS partition? - Tricky!

>>> root@attack>mount -t msdos /dev/wd0s2 /windows
>>                             ^^^^^^^^^^
>>Is it really wd0s2? Windows needs to be in the first partition so
>>I'd expect it to be wd0s1.

Sorry, that's just not true.

>I have a 12G drive and I couldn't get FreeBSD to work in the last half of
the drive because it only saw 16383 cylinders rather than the 21xxx that
there actually was. So I put FreeBSD in the first partition and Win95 in
the second.

Dandy.

>I use a freeware partition manager to select which to boot from here at
work but at home with the same setup I use fdisk to specify the active
partition. Windows has no problem booting from the second partition as long
as it's a primary partition and marked active.

If it works..  I'd use a boot manager, it's easier.

>I don't know for sure whether this would work if the first partition was
also a DOS partition but I think you'd have a hard time creating more than
one DOS partition anyway.

What's wrong with lots of DOS partitions?

To the original poster with the problem:

does /dev/wd0s2 exist?

does /modules/msdos.ko exist?

what does  'fdisk wd0'  output?

Tom Embt