Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2000 01:15:13 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
To:        ken@kdm.org (Kenneth D. Merry)
Cc:        toasty@dragondata.com (Kevin Day), freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bus resets appearing on wrong scsi busses?

> > I've got a system with many(7) SCSI busses. One bus has nothing other than a
> > tape drive and autoloader. When I eject the tape from drive, it executes
> > correctly, but I get:
> >
> > # camcontrol eject 3:1:0
> > Unit stopped successfully, Media ejected
> > (pass7:ahc1:0:0:0): SCB 0xd - timed out while idle, SEQADDR == 0xa
> > ahc1: Issued Channel A Bus Reset. 1 SCBs aborted
> >
> > Which really makes no sense, considering I wasn't talking to that device:
> >
> > # camcontrol devlist
> > *snip*
> > <EXABYTE Exabyte EZ17 1.06>        at scbus3 target 0 lun 0 (pass7,ch0)
> > <EXABYTE EXB-89008E00012F V41b>    at scbus3 target 1 lun 0 (sa0,pass8)
> > *snip*
> >
> > Then, another random scsi bus (even on a different card) will reset:
> >
> > (noperiph:sym1:0:-1:-1): SCSI BUS reset delivered.
> >

> > Has anyone seen anything like this? dmesg follows:
>
> That does seem rather odd.
>
> What happens if you type:
>
> camcontrol inquiry 3:1:0 -v

# camcontrol inquiry 3:1:0 -v
pass8: <EXABYTE EXB-89008E00012F V41b> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
pass8: Serial Number 0060154037
pass8: 20.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15, 16bit)

also:

# camcontrol inquiry 3:0:0 -v
pass7: <EXABYTE Exabyte EZ17 1.06> Removable Changer SCSI-2 device
pass7: Serial Number 38002141
pass7: 3.300MB/s transfers

> Also, did you happen to rescan the bus to get the tape drive to appear?
> Typically the pass device is the first to attach.

Nope. Both targets 0 and 1 are physically the same device, too, which makes
the attach order even weirder.

> How long after you attempt to eject the tape does the timed out while idle
> message appear?

About 5 seconds. Then a second or two after that, I get the weird "bus reset
delivered".

> Were you doing any changer operations at the same time?

Nope.

> Is the behavior consistent?

Yes, except for which other bus gets reset. It seems to pick a random scbus
and reset it.

> Also, why are you using camcontrol to eject the tape instead of 'mt offline'?

I was trying to be consistant with the other camcontrol commands I plan on
using to load/unload the tapes with the changer. (I'd rather pass my script
a bus:target:lun alone, than a bus:target:lun AND device name.)

-- Kevin