Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 1997 21:22:05 -0500
From:      "Anil John" <ajohn@cyberforge.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CVSup upgrade procedure question.....

Greetings,

I am currently running FreeBSD v 2.1.5.  I finally took the
plunge and thought I would check out the CVSup facility that was
available.  I followed the instructions at the FreeBSD web site and
installed the statically linked FreeBSD executables for cvsup.  That
seems to have gone well.

I am currently trying out cvsup by using the following supfile:

*default tag=RELENG_2_1_6_1_RELEASE
*default host=cvsup.FreeBSD.org
*default prefix=/usr
*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
*default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
src-all
src-eBones
src-secure

I used the command 'cvsup supfile /var/tmp/dest' for a trial run.  I
am currently watching the files come down and have a couple of
questions:

A LOT of sources seem to be coming down which I will not necessarily
use (especially the sources for games).  What I am primarily
intersted in is upgrading from 2.1.5 to the latest 2.1.6.x and would
like to have the kernel sources so that I can compile in support for
my ATAPI CD-ROM.

I would also like the latest version of apache, perl,tcsh, g++, gdb
and SAMBA for 2.1.6 installed (All of these are currently installed
and running on my machine).  In addition I am running ppp with IP
Masquerade which I would like to keep around.

My question is, what do I specify in the supfile such that everything
is not downloaded?  How do I get the sources for just the items that
I would like?  Also, once the sources are downloaded, just exactly
what DO I do to upgrade? Where is the make file that you use to
upgrade? (I definitely want to compile in the support for the ATAPI
cd-rom into there).

One thing I noticed is that the directory structure that came down
via cvsup seems to be different than what I have on my machine. For
example the cvsup had /src/gnu/....  while I have /src/sys/gnu/...
Did the structure change between 2.1.5 and 2.1.6? If so, how does
this affect the uprade?

Also will my /etc directory be trashed when I upgrade?

Any info would be appreciated...

Anil

CyberForge Group LLC                * Internet Consulting
E-Mail: ajohn@cyberforge.com        * WWW Publishing
410-597-8139                        * LAN & WAN Integration