Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 1997 00:53:28 -0800
From:      Shawn Ramsey <shawn@cpl.net>
To:        Wei Weng <wweng@stevens-tech.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: performance differences

Wei Weng wrote:

> check out :
> http://www.techweb.com/se/directlink.cgi?INW19970901S0125
> for the result of performance tests on linux freebsd and >windowsNT.

FreeBSD had the best performance in the short run, pulling to an early
lead with
100 users, then falling back, we believe, because of some resource
bottleneck, but
the OS did not produce an error condition to alert us. BSD built on
FreeBSD's

This thread came up on this list awhile ago. It seems the company that
did these tests did not recompile the FreeBSD kernel with MAXMEM, since
the machines had 128MB. So the other machines really had double the
memory. It would have been interesting to see how it fared with the same
amount. I would not be surprised if it came out on top...