Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 1996 02:21:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org, paul@netcraft.co.uk, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, loodvrij@gridpoint.com
Subject:   Re: Patch to talkd

 * It does - this just changes the selection of a default when such a tty
 * _isn't_ given.  Honestly, I don't understand all the contraversy over
 * this patch - it's a far better algorithm than simply grabbing the
 * first tty, regardless of how useful a place to reach the person it
 * actually is.

The problem people have is that the tty selection is now dynamic and
not static.  As I said in my previous mail, I make sure that all
incoming talk requests (without the third argument) show up in one
window that's always visible, so even if I can't hear it or not in
front of the machine at that time, I can see it when I get back.

Now, if I leave my machine and someone talks to me, the message will
show up in some window that I might never get back for many days!

I'm sorry, I don't think this is a good idea at all.  If the talk
message showing up in ttyv0 is such a problem, why don't you mesg n on
it anyway?

Satoshi