Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 95 22:38 MET
From:      me@tartufo.pcs.dec.com (Michael Elbel)
To:        chaos@rivers.oscs.montana.edu
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How too???

In pcs.freebsd.ports you write:

>I read the FAQ in /usr/share/FAQ but was unable to answer the most
>important question.  How?  How do I pull ports over ftp without having to
>re-create (by hand) every subdirectory in the ports collection and
>performing an mget * for each of them?

Get the whole stuff (or subdirectories you're intereted in) as compressed
tar file using wu-ftpd's magic:

cd /pub/FreeBSD
get ports.tar.gz      <- where there's a directory ports

>It seems to me that there should be a world mountable F.S. for me too
>"mount r" that I can use to run the makefiles directly off of.

Hmm, I suppose you could do this by defining WRKDIR to point somewhere
writable (as an environment variable), but then *every* port would share it.

Michael
--
Michael Elbel, Digital-PCS GmbH, Muenchen, Germany - me@FreeBSD.org
Fermentation fault (coors dumped)