Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 2009 01:50:40 -0500
From:      Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Subject:   OT: XML newbie

I am a relative XML newbie (i.e. our backend does spit out some XML I
wrote but it just slapped together with no knowledge of the
underlaying structure of XML)... Now I am going back and actually
learning XML... our main application is to insert XML directly into
XHTML documents and use either CSS or XSLT (don't know enough to pick
yet) to style them without resorting to javascript...

Now my question what is a good/reasonable set of command line tools
for working with/debugging/testing all this in such a way I do not
need to rely on the browser... specifically what types (and specific
ones if there is a preference) tools do I need and are there any
recommended procedures for dealing with XML from the command line....
in the future we may want to also do Java parsing of XML but that
seems to be well handled already in the JDK (1.6) API.... thanks in
advance