Date:      Sat, 03 Oct 2009 10:10:31 +0200
From:      Bernt Hansson <bernt@bah.homeip.net>
To:        Raymond Gibson <raymond.gibson@verizon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jail - unable to print from inside jail

Raymond Gibson said the following on 2009-10-02 22:31:
>> Something doesn't seem right with you devfs.rules file.
>> Mine looks like this:
>>
>> [system=10]
>> add path 'unlpt*' mode 0660 group cups
>> add path 'ulpt*' mode 0660 group cups
>> add path 'lpt*' mode 0660 group cups
>>

> i change permissions on /dev/ulpt0 (in the jail) and now i can print a test
> page from Cups administration page.
>
> PrintServer# ls -l /dev | grep ulpt0
> crw-r--r--  1 root     operator    0,  79 Oct  2 10:51 ulpt0
> PrintServer# chmod 666 /dev/ulpt0
> PrintServer# ls -l /dev | grep ulpt0
> crw-rw-rw-  1 root     operator    0,  79 Oct  2 10:51 ulpt0
>
> i tried to set 666 for devfs.rules & devfs.conf in both host and jail, but
> that didn't work.
>
> any more ideas?

I don't have an usb printer attached.
ls -l /dev/lp*
crw-rw----  1 root  cups    0,  38 Sep 23 18:27 /dev/lpt0
crw-rw----  1 root  cups    0,  39 Sep 19 22:30 /dev/lpt0.ctl

That's on the print server, no jail, and I think you do not need to
change the devfs.conf file. Mine isn't changed looks like this:

# Historically X depended on this, but version 4.3.0 doesn't seem to anymore
#link   ttyv0   vga

# Commonly used by many ports
#link   acd0    cdrom

# Allow a user in the wheel group to query the smb0 device
#perm   smb0    0660

# Allow members of group operator to cat things to the speaker
#own    speaker root:operator
#perm   speaker 0660