Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 17:26:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Martin Blapp <blapp@attic.ch>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
Subject:   Re: GNU-Tar should be updated

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Martin Blapp wrote:

> Something like that is really ugly, a unix that can't backup
> it's own files ... something like that I only know from M$  ...

  tar is an add-on, and is not the standard backup tool, dump/restore is.
dump/restore have their own problems, but backing up /dev is not one of
them.

  Besides, some think that all GNU tars should be replaced with star which
is much faster.  Plus star generates real posix archives.

  pax is also a nice tar replacement.  On BSDI, tar is just a link to pax.
I'm pretty sure pax can backup up /dev