Date:      Tue, 5 Apr 2005 18:50:32 -0400
From:      Ean Kingston <ean@hedron.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suspending login

On April 5, 2005 06:42 pm, Bob Ababurko wrote:
> Hello all-
>
> I am trying to figure out how to suspend a login for a user.  Do I have
> to do this with password aging or is there an easier(read brute force)
> way to disallow a user from logging in?

the safest way is to set the shell to /sbin/nologin and the home directory
to /nonexistant in your auth system. The latter is especially needed if you
allow ssh for remote login since the public-key authentication mechanisms
sometimes bypass the normal login restrictions.

--
Ean Kingston

E-Mail: ean AT hedron DOT org