Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 2008 23:00:44 +0100
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        Andrew Snow <andrew@modulus.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what program to play 24 bit FLACs?

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:33:52 +1000
Andrew Snow <andrew@modulus.org> wrote:

> Now I have 24/96 audio working with mplayer.

	I know it's been a long time, but I'm now in the same boat as you
were then and I've found a solution :)

> It is working for 24/96 WAV files, but I am trying to play 24/96 FLACs,
> and the only program that appears to support 24 bit audio properly is
> mplayer.  Unfortunately while WAV works well with mplayer, FLAC is choppy.

	It's a bit long winded but this does the trick.

flac -d -c --force-raw-format --endian=little --sign=signed "$file" |
mplayer -rawaudio channels=2:rate=96000:samplesize=3 -format s32le -demuxer
rawaudio

	I also have a tiny little C program (40 lines of source) that does
nothing but play a 24/96 raw audio stream on stdin which works fine in
place of mplayer in the above pipeline. If time permits I may work this up
into a self contained flac player.

	Now - did you or anyone else ever find anything better ?