Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 05:07:32 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: the AMD factor in FreeBSD

Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com> types:
> As for the AMD+SMP vs Intel+SMP, I can't say regarding the FreeBSD support,
> however, AMD's SMP is supposed to be far faster than Intel's because it has
> a Point-to-Point bus for the SMP connection, meaning _each_ CPU has a
> dedicated 200mhz (100mhz DDR) connection to the bus, when on an Intel SMP
> motherboard the two or more cpus will share the same 100mhz bus.  That means
> on a 4 way SMP Intel system, each cpu will get an effective 25mhz access to
> the bus under full load in theory.  By the same theory, AMD cpus would each
> have their own 200mhz dedicated connection to the bus, even in an 8 cpu
> setup.

You're talking about the speed of the connection to the bus, without
talking about the speed of the bus. If the bus in question is 100MHz,
then in any 4-cpu system at full load, each cpu will have at most
25MHz on the bus, never mind that their connection to the bus is
200MHz. So you've just spent 4 times the amount on cpu bus hardware
for no gain in performance.

If the bus is 133MHz, then each cpu can get 33MHz on the bus on a
loaded system, and the shared connection to the bus causes a problem.

There may be something obvious I've overlooked - in which case, I'm
sure I'll be told about it.

	<mike