Date:      24 Apr 2003 03:34:42 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Marco Wertejuk <wertejuk@mwcis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: malloc.conf and java

--=-m4mHaV77H+cctyw/SPqK

On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 03:23, Marco Wertejuk wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> i'm running current for a while and noticed,=20
> that I need to setenv MALLOC_CONF aj
> in order to run Linux-Netscape7.02 with java-vm
> plugin.
> Otherwise Netscape complains about not having the
> appropriate plugin installed.
>=20
> Interestingly there's no malloc.conf on my
> system, maybe because i've maked world from
> stable but i always run mergemaster and the
> step from stable to current is quite some=20
> months ago.

In -CURRENT, AJ are the initial values set in malloc.c.

>=20
> Any ideas what went wrong or is it just normal?

Normal for -CURRENT.  Releases have those options disabled by default.

> Maybe this should be documented somehow, because
> it saves a lot of painful netscape/java hacking :)

It's sort of documented in UPDATING, but it doesn't explicitly say to
set MALLOC_CONF or ln -s aj /etc/malloc.conf.  Maybe it should.  If it's
documented elsewhere, I haven't seen it.

Joe

--=20

--=-m4mHaV77H+cctyw/SPqK

--=-m4mHaV77H+cctyw/SPqK--