Date:      Wed, 06 Oct 1999 08:08:32 -0600
From:      Hank Willenbring <hcwillenbring@west.rsc.raytheon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Install FreeBSD 3.2 wipes out Win95 boot mgr (bug??) :|

To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org

Problem Summary:
     Help with recovering Win95 boot manager after installing FreeBSD
3.2 using CD-ROM

System Specs:

             CPU: PII 233MHz
           RAM: 32 MB
Hard Drives:  2 GB  Maxtor IDE  (primary master)
                      12 GB  Maxtor IDE  (primary slave)
     CD-ROM: 32x   NEC
    Floppy Drive: 1.44 MB
Co-Share OS: Windows95  (This has been installed on the first disk)
             BIOS: Phoenix 4.0 (allowed me to install FreeBSD 3.2 from
CD-ROM).

Installation Medium:  CD-ROM FreeBSD 3.2 from Walnut Creek
                                         << cool install program >>

Problem  Description:

The original system configuration has the 2GB Maxtor IDE hard drive with
Windows95 installed.  I bought another hard drive (12 GB - lots of room
to play!!) with the intention of installing FreeBSD 3.2 on the primary
slave IDE hard drive and use BootEasy to toggle between the two
operating systems.  When installing FreeBSD, I used the "novice"
installation procedure (as suggested in the manual).  There is a menu
for configuring the hard disk drives.  The menu selection looked
something like:

       [  ]  wd0       // <- 2 GB hard drive
       [  ]  wd1       // <- 12 GB hard drive

I selected "wd0" (so that the system would at least recognize the drive
there - as the book suggested), and immediately selected "Q" (quit)
since I did _not_ want (or need) any disk partitions from this drive.  I
was then prompted for what boot manager I wanted to use, from which I
selected "[*] None" because I did not want the existing boot manager
changed.  The menu selections eventually went back to configuring the
second hard drive (12 GB), and this time I selected "A" for using all of
the drive and I also selected "no" to the "dangerously dedicated" menu
since, in the "Disk Drive" chapter, it suggested doing this if the disk
is to be entirely dedicated to FreeBSD.  I selected "BootMgr" to be
installed in the MBR for this disk (my BIOS allows alot of flexibility
in booting from different computer medium in any order; hard drives (in
any order), CD-ROM, floppy
disks -  nice! :)

I then went through the rest of the standard installation and everything
seemed to install ok.  After the installation was complete, I changed
the boot sequence to boot from the original 2 GB hard drive (expecting
that Window95 would be booting) only to find out that an error was
posted stating "Operating System Not Found" (?????) :(

I booted from a Windows95 floppy disk to trouble shoot.  The 2 GB disk
is fine (all data is still there) except that the MBR is wiped-out [this
would appear to me to be a bug since I specified "[*] None" for the
MBR].

Is there a way that I can recover the MBR so that I can bring Windows95
back up??   I looked at the "disklabel" utility and it is not obvious
that it will work for Windows95.  If you have any suggestions, you can
save me alot of pain of re-installing Win95 (not to mention my wife will
be _much_ happier if she can get back to using her Win95 applications
soon!!).

New to the FreeBSD community but a long time Unix hacker.

Thanks, Hank.