Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 2003 14:02:32 -0400
From:      Jesse Sheidlower <jester@panix.com>
To:        Ronnie Clark <ronj_clark@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to start gnome?

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 10:58:51AM -0700, Ronnie Clark wrote:
> I just loaded Gnome 2.2.2 from ports. Does anyone know
> the command to put into .xinitrc to run gnome2? I
> tried the following:
> exec gnome
> exec gnome2
>
> They do not work.

To run it from the command line, "gdm". To run at boot, as
the docs say:

- Do _NOT_ use /etc/ttys to start gdm at boot time.  This will result in gdm
  hanging or restarting constantly.  Instead, copy the included gdm.sh.sample
  script to gdm.sh, and restart.  This script is found, by default, in
  /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d.

HTH.

Jesse Sheidlower