Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 2010 16:17:52 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/153300: configure error for misc/shared-mime-info-0.80

In message <AANLkTikHkS9HMVFL_JTRUtYeyixaxvxwY+doKpoi2FUv@mail.gmail.com>, you
wrote:

>On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 2:02 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette
><rfg@tristatelogic.com> wrote:
>>
>> In message <201012201634.oBKGY97Q083871@freefall.freebsd.org>, you wrote:
>>
>>>Synopsis: configure error for misc/shared-mime-info-0.80
>>>
>>>State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
>>>State-Changed-By: mezz
>>>State-Changed-When: Mon Dec 20 16:33:16 UTC 2010
>>>State-Changed-Why:
>>>Not missing dependency, because it already depends on perl stuff. It sounds
>>>like you didn't follow the Perl upgrade in /usr/ports/UPDATING. You need to
>>>reinstall all ports that depend on Perl and it will solve your issue.
>>>
>>>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=153300
>>
><snip>
>> Because of this seemingly pervasive problem, I think that you should
>> give some consideration to re-opening this PR.
>
>No need to.
>
>> On the other hand, if I am wrong about any part of my analysis, then by
>> all means, please do enlighten me as to where I have gone wrong.
><snip>
>
>You have analysis it perfectly for what kind of problem you have. Only
>a problem is that you didn't follow in the /usr/ports/UPDATING that
>was documented about what you need to do to update your icu.

Uggg.  OK.  My bad.  You're right.  I didn't see that item in there.
(Maybe I can be forgiven for this particylar faux pas... that UPDATING
document is now over 10,000 lines long.  Does everyone actually read
100% of that??)

In any case, I would still like to understand why it is the case that I
need to make this extra special effort to run "portupgrade -fr devel/icu".
In other words, why haven't all of the port dependencies been arranged in
such a way so that "portupgrade -a" would not have achieved the same effect?
Why do I have to _force_ rebuilds of everything depending on icu?  Why
don't all those rebuilds just occur automatically from "portupgrade -a"?

My apologies if I am asking FAQs, but I obviously don't understand
something fundamental here, and I'd like to.

Should I assume that "portupgrade -a" only rebuilds those ports whose
version numbers have changed in the ports tree, and that it ignores
cases where the port version is unchanged and where some _other_ port
that the given port depends on has been changed/upgraded?

If so, then maybe a nice addition to portupgrade would be a new option
that does what -a does _and_ that also forces the upgrade of any port `A'
which depends upon any other port `B' whose version has changed (i.e.
since port `a' was last built/installed).

Does that seem reasonable?

Regards,
rfg