Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 17:25:42 -0800
From:      David Bushong <david@bushong.net>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
Cc:        "WMC, O'Gorman, James" <jogorman@worldmediaco.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: starting xdm (Re: src/UPDATING for RELENG_3 to RELENG_4 upgrade works.)

My friend also noted that X has a little document feature where you can
tell it which vty to start on, solving the race condition (which I ran
into as well).  Just change in the line in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers
(or /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers if you're running XFree86 4.0) from:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt8

This assumes you want X on /dev/ttyv7, a.k.a. F8

The advantage of this over the /etc/ttys method is that you can actually
kill off xdm without editing /etc/ttys and HUPing init.

--David Bushong