Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2019 06:13:58 -0600
From:      Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
To:        Mateusz Piotrowski <0mp@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>, ports@freebsd.org, Kurt Jaeger <pi@freebsd.org>, Koichiro Iwao <meta@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: category for VPN softwares?

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 3:37 AM Mateusz Piotrowski <0mp@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 at 10:58, Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org> wrote:

> > > Sounds better! Gentoo has net-vpn category. Just FYI, Gentoo also have
> > > net-dialup category. PPP/PPPoE/L2TP softwares are put under net-dialup
> > > but I feel that classification is too fine. At least creating vpn or
> > > net-vpn souds good.
> >
> > How about a new "real" category vpn
>

> I am not sure if it should be vpn or net-vpn. I feel net-vpn is
> more suitable.
>

> > and preserving the current categories
> > of the ports as their additional categories (assuming that they are in net
> > vs. security for a reason).
> >

> I like the idea.

Creating new categories is absolutely doable! However, we have a
pretty high bar for justifying it. There's no magic number, but our
(portmgr's) precedent is that the new category must, at the time of
creation, be as full as other categories like it.

The most important thing in the new category proposal is a
comprehensive list of ports that will be moved to it. Put that into a
review or a PR and we can move forward. Fair warning though, if it's
only about a dozen ports, it most likely will not be approved.

My approach here is that new categories should be virtual unless the
evidence for hard category is incontrovertible.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger
adamw@adamw.org