Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 14:43:54 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        Chris Pearce <ferox@paradise.net.nz>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, dunlug@lists.ethernal.org
Subject:   Re: Is ADSL modem + NAT the same as an ADSL Router?

<snip/>
"...I already have a hub, so if I put a regular ADSL modem
in the FreeBSD box running NAT, connect it to the hub,
and configure it as a gateway, will it work?..."
</snip>

You've got what you need. Just use the FBSD as the "router"....

At 09:36 AM 1.30.2002 +1300, Chris Pearce wrote:
>Hey all,
>
>I'm setting up a network to share an ADSL connection,
>and I'm wondering about the difference between a regular
>ADSL modem and an ADSL router.
>
>My plan was to have a FreeBSD box acting as a
>gateway for the LAN, but I'm not sure whether a router
>or a regular modem is required.
>
>I already have a hub, so if I put a regular ADSL modem
>in the FreeBSD box running NAT, connect it to the hub,
>and configure it as a gateway, will it work? What would be
>different if I had a router? What do they do differently?
>
>The guys at the shops tell me that I need a router,
>but then again, it's sales people telling me that... I tried
>to STFW, but all I got was people trying to sell me
>modems.
>
>Can someone help?
>

>Thanks,
>Chris Pearce.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin

Sage-American
http://www.sage-american.com
jacks@sage-american.com

"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat;
....situation excellent! ....I shall attack!"