Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:02:17 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Mike Makonnen <mike_makonnen@yahoo.com>
Cc:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NetBSD-style rc.d Project -- What I have so far...

Thanks for the hard work, Mike!

Mike Makonnen wrote:
> - Converging startup scripts before the rest of the system is converted
>   will be a nightmare because there are too many differences.
>   Examples why:
>         - The -w switch is deprecated in FreeBSD, and NetBSD still
>           requires the -w switch in order to set a sysctl. This means
>           that we need a conditional in the script every time we set
>           a sysctl.
>         - We use different switches to startup the same daemon
>         - Who volunteers to test/coordinate/merge changes with the
>           NetBSD people?
>         - Each project is going to have scripts that the other project
>           won't use. This means someone has to invest the time and
>           effort to maintain scripts the project won't be using
>         - IMO all the conditionals are just going to obfuscate the
>           scripts and make them that much harder to debug

You could handle most of this using something like:

	rc.bsd:
		# Normalize difference between BSD's
		#
		# This is the FreeBSD version
		#
		SYSCTL_W="sysctl"
		FOOARGS="-t -U"

		# Normalize difference between BSD's
		#
		# This is the NetBSD version
		#
		SYSCTL_W="sysctl -w"
		FOOARGS"-u"

	rc.foo:
		# sysctls
		$SYSCTL_W xxx=yyy
		foo $FOOARGS /var/run/foo.pid

Don't worry about this; it's a future thing, if ever, I
think.  I just wanted to throw it out there as a possible
approach to solving the problem.

> I know everyone has their own idea for what the system should look like,
> but I hope the work done already will help lighten the load. If you
> choose not to base the final system on this I would still be willing to
> contribute to whatever you decide to go with.

Yes, but the person who does the work is always the ultimate
arbiter of how it gets done.

One of my professors was fond of reformulating Occam's Razoer
as "Anything that works is better than anything that doesn't".

Again, thanks for the hard work!

-- Terry