Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 1997 14:05:05 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Jacques Hugo <jacques@linkage.ctech.ac.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some help here please.

On Fri, 31 Jan 1997, Jacques Hugo wrote:

> > > Morning guys ...
> > >
> > > I've installed 2.1.6 lately and got a new kernel compiled.  I have
> > > IDE ATAPI CDROM enabled in the GENERIC file and made the devices
> > > with MAKEDEV afterwards (/dev/wcd0c /dev/rwcd0c).  But I still
> > > cannot mount my cdrom or play audio cd's.  Where did I screw up
> > > here?
> >
> > What errors do you get? Did the device got probed correctly by the kernel
> > (do "dmesg | grep wcd" to check that out)? What is your hardware's
> > configuration?
>
> Yes, the device gets probed correctly, port 0x230, the works.
> But when running something like xcd, it says device not present.
> (Hope that helps) Oh yes, the sequencer also screws up.

Does it work for data, or is the problem for both sound and data? Also,
the address you specified must be for the sound card, not the CD. The CD
doesn't have an address. It should read something like:

scully: {151} dmesg | grep wcd
wcd0: 0Kb/sec, 240Kb cache, audio play, 255 volume levels, ejectable tray
wcd0: no disc inside, unlocked

> > > I also have a PNP SB16 audio card.  Are there any utils out there
> > > to configure that?  And are there any boot programs (like loadlin for
> > > Linux) for you to boot FreeBSD from a MSDOS shell?
>
> Anything for the above question?

I don't have a sound card, sorry. As for the boot from the DOS shell, I
don't know of any because I don't need it. It doesn't mean there is none
though. BTW, what's wrong with Ctrl+Alt+Del and then choosing to boot
FreeBSD?

> -Jacques

Nadav