Date:      Sat, 3 Apr 2004 09:34:37 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Security branch lifetime changes

Hi Folks,

I have extended the lifetime of the RELENG_4_8 security branch, and of
security branches in general:

  ----- Forwarded message from Jacques Vidrine <nectar@FreeBSD.org> -----
  Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 07:23:54 -0800 (PST)
  From: Jacques Vidrine <nectar@FreeBSD.org>
  To: doc-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-doc@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
  Subject: cvs commit: www/en/security security.sgml

  nectar      2004/04/03 07:23:54 PST

    FreeBSD doc repository

    Modified files:
      en/security          security.sgml
    Log:
    Add text explaining new guidelines for the lifetimes of security
    branches.  `Early adopter' branches will be supported 6+ months,
    `Normal' branches will be supported 12+ months, and `Extended'
    branches will be supported 24+ months.

    Mark RELENG_4_8 as an `Extended' support branch and extend its
    Estimated EoL accordingly.

    While here, also extend RELENG_5_2 through the end of 2004.

    (I was reminded that RELENG_4_8 had expired a few days ago by
    cperciva@.)

    Revision  Changes    Path
    1.152     +38 -16    www/en/security/security.sgml
  ----- End forwarded message -----

You may also find an excerpt from the updated
http://www.freebsd.org/security/ page below the signature of this
message.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / nectar@celabo.org / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@freebsd.org

Each branch is supported by the Security Officer for a limited time only, and
is designated as one of `Early adopter', `Normal', or `Extended'. The
designation is used as a guideline for determining the lifetime of the branch
as follows.

Early adopter
    Releases which are published from the -CURRENT branch will be supported by
    the Security Officer for a minimum of 6 months after the release.
Normal
    Releases which are published from the -STABLE branch will be supported by
    the Security Officer for a minimum of 12 months after the release.
Extended
    Selected releases will be supported by the Security Officer for a minimum
    of 24 months after the release.

The current designation and estimated lifetimes of the currently supported
branches are given below. The Estimated EoL (end-of-life) column gives the
earliest date on which that branch is likely to be dropped. Please note that
these dates may be extended into the future, but only extenuating circumstances
would lead to a branch's support being dropped earlier than the date listed.

|  Branch  |   Release   |    Type     |  Estimated EoL  |
|RELENG_4  |n/a          |n/a          |March 31, 2005   |
|RELENG_4_8|4.8-RELEASE  |Extended     |March 31, 2005   |
|RELENG_5_2|5.2.1-RELEASE|Early adopter|December 31, 2004|
|RELENG_4_9|4.9-RELEASE  |Normal       |October 31, 2004 |

Older releases are not maintained and users are strongly encouraged to upgrade
to one of the supported releases mentioned above.