Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 11:31:52 -0400
From:      Michael L Artz <slyph@MIT.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ipfw without nat-ing?

Is it possible to use ipfw without using some sort of NAT?  I have a small subset of a class C network for home and want to set up a FreeBSD firewall.  I don't want to use any sort of NAT because of its limitations (games, realplayer, etc) and because I have the IPs, so I might as well use them.  I have read all of the docs that I could find and all of them say to use NAT ....

Another little question ... when setting up a FreeBSD router, can both network cards have the same IP?  for example, if I have DSL coming to my house with static IPs 208.208.208.1 - 208.208.208.7, can I set up my FreeBSD machine as a router right at the DSL and have it look to the inside and the outside world that it is 208.208.208.1?  I know this is unnecessary for just a router, but I eventually want to set it up with a firewall.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
-Mike
slyph@mit.edu