Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 2002 22:08:32 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Tamir Halperin <tamir@brobus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail Installation Problem

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 06:04:05PM -0400, Tamir Halperin wrote:
> Jonathan,
> >
> > It sounds like you have some experience with something I'm stuck on. I
> > tried submitting this to the freebsd-questions maillist but it isn't
> > showing up there for some reason.

Please do not send questions to me directly. Always send your questions
to the freebsd-questions list..

> > Anyway here goes and I hope you can help.
> >
> > I have sendmail 8.12.3 running on my FreeBSD 4.6 server although I can
> > basically confirm that it isn't installed properly. There is no
> > mention of it when I execute pkg_version -v and here's the result:

sendmail is part of the base system. FreeBSD 4.6 comes with
sendmail-8.12.3 installed. That's why it doesn't show up in the
package list.

> > To make things worse, I did a cvsup not long ago and now my ports
> > collection only refers to sendmail 8.12.5 as well as a much older
> > version of sendmail somewhere near 8.9.x

The port's version will install sendmail 8.12.5 in /usr/local, unless
you've installed sendmail 8.12.5 by hand into /usr (always a no-no).

> > I'd like to switch to qmail for a few reasons and I'm reading about
> > how important it is to remove Sendmail from my system prior to doing
> > so. I also noticed by using /stand/sysinstall that sendmail isn't an
> > optional port like other packages but rather something that seems to
> > be part of the distribution itself. On my 4.6 CD it doesn't even show
> > up in the "Electronic mail packages" list. It actually shows up in the
> > Networking section with its own Sendmail item and a description of
> > "This machine wants to run the Sendmail deamon". I was hoping that I
> > could go back to that feature and remove sendmail from there. One of
> > the three sendmail options is "None - Don't start any sendmail
> > processes". Unfortunately, selecting this item and exiting doesn't
> > make any change at all that I can discern.

If you want to use qmail, just install it via the port and tweak the
/etc/mailer.conf file. Leave the base system sendmail alone. You'll
probably have to change the "mta_start_script" in /etc/rc.conf to use
qmail's startup script instead.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>