Date:      Thu, 13 Oct 2005 02:09:16 +0800
From:      Dinesh Nair <dinesh@alphaque.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5751M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express and FreeBSD 4.10

has anyone got the above gigabit ethernet working with freebsd 4.10 ?

patching sys/dev/bge/if_bge.c and sys/dev/bge/if_bgereg.h with the device
and vendor IDs in the proper places doesnt seem to work, though the entries
exist in the same files in the 4.11 sources. a mailing list search shows it
working fine on the ibm t43 notebooks but on freebsd 5.4 instead. however,
as mentioned above, RELENG_4 sources contain the device id for the
BCM5751M, so i'd assume it'd work there too.

there seems to be no special handling of this device in the code, so
getting it to work on 4.10 (as opposed to 4.11R) would be as simple as
adding in the same device ids. or so i thought.

pciconf -l -v yields

none4@pci16:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0x0944103c chip=0x167d14e4 rev=0x11
hdr=0x0
vendor = 'Broadcom Corporation'
class = network
subclass = ethernet

and a kldload if_bge returns (after patching in device id):

bge0: <Broadcom BCM5715M Gigabit Ethernet, ASIC rev. 0x4101> mem
0xc8000000-0xc800ffff irq 10 at device 0.0 on pci16
bge0: firmware handshake timed out
bge0: RX CPU self-diagnostics failed!
bge0: chip initialization failed
device_probe_and_attach: bge0 returned 6

the notebook is a HP nc6230.