Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 14:51:28 -0500
From:      Lucas Bergman <iceberg@pobox.com>
To:        Ken Gage <KGage@Wigwamresort.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot floppy (Was: HELP..!)

> I am looking for a boot disk that will allow me to boot up my PC and
> load settings for the network card and ftp to your site and install
> FREEBSD.
>
> I have done this once before and I am trying to remember how I did
> this.

FTP anonymously to FTP.FREEBSD.ORG and get the files

  /pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.1.1-RELEASE/floppies/{kern,mfsroot}.flp

Use `dd' on your Linux box to write these to (high density) floppies:

  # dd if=/path/to/kern.flp of=/dev/fd0 bs=512
  # dd if=/path/to/mfsroot.flp of=/dev/fd0 bs=512

Then, boot off the kern.flp floppy and insert the mfsroot.flp disk
when it asks.  This will automatically start the installation program
once its finished booting.

Lucas

P.S. Try a better subject line on your message next time.  I and many
others are happy to help, but we have to scan a lot of these messages,
so an ambiguous subject line is a good way to get ignored.