Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 09:04:33 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        Holtor <holtor@yahoo.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DES & MD5?

In message <199906150658.AAA90712@harmony.village.org>, Warner Losh writes:
>In message <5182.929429344@critter.freebsd.dk> Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
>: Uhm, sorry Warner, but that is not true.  A brute force attack on
>: MD5 is many orders of magnitude slower than on DES.
>
>Wouldn't that cause lots of messages to be logged about failed login
>attempts?  I was talking about the case where no one can get the
>encrypted passwords.  I do suppose this assumes that all the programs
>that do login verification do syslogs failures...

Which I must admit I have never verified that they do.  I don't
think a brute force attack without the scrambled passwords is
sufficiently feasible to be attempted, for one thing you reveal
your source-IP or tty/terminal identity, but even so, MD5 takes
longer to computer than DES.

>I agree that MD5 is better when the possibility of disclosure of the
>encrypted passwords exists...

Which it always does, it's only a matter of at which probability.

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!