Date:      03 Dec 1996 14:35:09 -0800
From:      Paul Traina <pst@jnx.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2-ALPHA install failure w/Adaptec controller and NOT dangerously dedicated

Now that the flame-fest about installing with DD has died down, let me
describe a problem that I've been seeing with an Oct 21st snapshot (which
						 ^^^^^^^^
is very close to 2.2-ALPHA).

We were setting up a few DOS/FreeBSD based machines. 2g hard disks, adaptec
controllers, bios translation enabled (adaptec default).  This always USED to
work just fine (before that damn MBR hint change).

We set up a 250mb DOS partition on sd0s1 and the rest of the disk is FreeBSD.
Partition and install as normal, reboot the system, and BTEASY can't find
either the DOS or the FreeBSD partitions.  I assume it's because of the MBR
change.

If I scrog the disk with dd, boot a dos floppy, fdisk /mbr and partition the
DOS file system with DOS fdisk, and then boot the FreeBSD boot floppy and
add the FreeBSD partition, everything's happy.

What gives?  I used to (1 month earlier snapshot) be able to do this just
fine.

Paul