Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 16:44:21 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Martin Cote <mcote@cypress.bc.ca>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Need info on FreeBSD

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Martin Cote wrote:

>Could you please answer the following questions ASAP:
>
>1-What are the top three differences between FreeBSD,QNX and WinNT?

This is pretty subjective. I will leave it alone.

>2-Is FreeBSD better than Linux or QNX?

Yes. :)

>3-What are the fees and costs related with FreeBSD (License cost? What
>about Dev tools?)

Zip, Zilch, Nada. Dev tools too.

>4-Is the Kernel code available for modifications?

Yes.

>5-Is it a tough OS to learn for an experienced Embedded C/C++ Programmer?

No. Unix was written in C. C was written for Unix.

>6-Can it run on any platform?

Currently only INTEL platforms in RELEASE. Alpha platforms in BETA.

>7-Can we use TCP/IP networking with it?

TCP/IP networking was "defined" by BSD. Yes.

>8-Can we program our own GUI interface?

Yes. But many good GUI's are available for free.

>9-What about programming?  (Compilers, info..)

There are many compilers the run on FreeBSD. There is PERL, JDK, gcc, g77
... just about anything you can think of.

>10-Who uses FreeBSD and what is a popular FreeBSD application?

ISP's, corporations, Yahoo!, cdrom.com. Desktop users who want
stability and flexibilty.

Providing services (smtp, dns, http, ftp, telnet, smb, nat, netatalk)  is
FreeBSD's forte

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/