Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2006 22:03:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Ron <lists@rzweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading Ports on 5.3

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006, Ron wrote:

> Is there a way to use the current ports system if I am still running
> 5.3?

That's the only way.

> I really need to update subversion, mysql, plus make sure I'm running
> the latest versions of other software, but since 5.4 came out (and now
> 5.5 and 6.0), I am no longer been able to get new ports.
>
> If change my cvs-supfile to be:
>
> ------
> *default tag=RELENG_5_4

I second what Bill Moran said: "tag=." for ports. I keep two separate
supfiles - one for the system, another for ports. (I'm also running 5.4
on this machine.) I'll send them to you off-list if you want.

If you still have the original ports tree from when you installed 5.4,
it's kind of long in the tooth by now and there may initially be a
certain amount of dependency hell, but I'd bite the bullet and do it
anyway when you have a free Saturday; it will fix a lot of problems, and
will be less trouble down the road.

> If someone can point me to some specific information that will help, I
> would be very appreciative.

What I usually do is

# cvsup -g /etc/cvsupfile.ports   <- my ports supfile with "tag=."
# pkgdb -aF                       <- may throw a lot of errors, esp.
                                   <- if you have an old ports tree.
                                   <- Fix manually if needed!
# cd /usr/ports
# portsdb -u
# portsclean -C
# pkgdb -u
# portversion -v | grep needs     <- see what "needs" to be upgraded

...and then

# portupgrade -Rr <whatever port I want to upgrade>

or if I really have a lot of time,

# portupgrade -aRr

...which will upgrade everything, but may take many hours even on a fast
machine.

HTH.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]