Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 23:09:41 -0700
From:      Todd Eastman <eastman@inficad.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI Installation Problem

I'm trying to install FreeBSD with a boot floppy created with fdimage.exe and boot(1).flp.

The boot process gives the following messages:

available memory = 61079552 (59648kbytes)
Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
chip0 < Intel 82439> rev3 on pci0:0
chip1 < Intel 82371SB PCI-ISA bridge > rev1 on pci0:7:0
chip2 < Intel 82371SB:IDE interface > rev0 on pci0:7:1
ahc0 < Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI host adapter > rev 0 int a irq 11 on pci0:17
ahc0:aic7880 Single Channel, SCSI Id=7,16 SCBS
ahc0 waiting for SCSI devices to settle
ahc0:board is not responding
(ahc0:0:0):SCB0x0 - timed out in datain phase, SCSISIGI==0x46
SEQADDR=0X126 SCSISEQ=0X12 SSTATO=0X0 STSTATI=0X2
(ahc0:0:0):abort message in message buffer
ahc0:board is not responding
cmd fail
(ahc0:0:0) SCB 0X1 timed out while recovery in progress
(ahc0:0:0) "unknown unknown" ???? type 13 fixed SCSIO

this continues for 10 tries and gives up.

These same messages appear when I chose the Adaptec 154x storage or Buslogic SCSI selection while in the video kernell settings.

The boot image that I copied off of the internet give the following messages to the screen when I first turn on the computer with the floppy installed in the A: drive.

Booting 0:fd(0,a)/kernell
dosdev=0, biosdrive=0, unit=0, maj=2
Booging 0:fd(0,a)/kernell @27a000

Any ideas would be apreciated.