Date:      Sat, 7 Apr 2001 18:30:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
To:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ntpd root exploit - advisory?

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Kal Torak wrote:
> Just wondering why there has been no security advisory on the
> announce list about the ntpd root exploit and buffer overflow
> allowing for syslog DoS attack...

actually, its much worse than a syslog DoS attack.  you can easily trash
the machine using this exploit.  its just difficult to remotely get a
shell out of it (difficult does not == impossible, difficult merely means
that nobody has made public a way to do it, and i haven't been able to
figure one out...).  not only that but the attack can be spoofed and is
pretty much untraceable and can't be filtered (at least not perfectly).

> I noticed that a few fixes have been committed to stable for
> ntpd, but no advisory... Whats going on? Is it still not totally
> fixed yet?

its fixed in the latest 4.2-stable, i'd not waste any time upgrading.