Date:      Thu, 18 Aug 2011 15:58:49 +0300
From:      Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, onwahe@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: NFS calculation of max commit size

--ADZ8S6Yea/b683e6

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 06:18:53PM -0400, Rick Macklem wrote:
> Kostik Belousov wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 09:15:15AM -0400, Rick Macklem wrote:
> > >
> > > I think that any fraction of hibufspace should be sufficient to
> > > avoid
> > > the deadlock. Also, since the buffer cache code doesn't use vnode
> > > locking
> > > these days, I'm not even sure if write backs are blocked by the
> > > wrire
> > > vnode op in progress. (ie. I'm not sure the deadlock it originally
> > > fixed
> > > would still happen without it.)
> >=20
> > bufdaemon definitely acquires vnode lock when flushing dirty buffer,
> > this was a problem on its own. I think you refer to the nfsiod
> > operation.
> >=20
> Ok, so I think this means that the deadlock can still occur.
> I haven't yet played with the code, but I now think I might unedrstand
> the logic behind dividing by "(desiredvnodes / 1000)".
>=20
> If a single large write is happening to one NFS vnode, setting
> nm_wcommitsize to any fraction of hibufspace should avoid the deadlock,
> I think. (If I understand it correctly, the deadlock occurs when an
> NFS VOP_WRITE() runs out of buffer cache and no buffer cache blocks
> can be cleaned out because it is holding a lock on the vnode.)
No, if nfs write vop tries to allocate a new buffer, then vfs_bio.c
will note that attempt is made to allocate with the vnode lock held,
and will do a pass of the dirty cache flushing buffers owned by the vnode.
See a call to buf_do_flush() from getnewbuf() and buf_do_flush() code
itself.

This is what I referred to as 'a problem on its own'. The change helped
to fix a bufdaemon deadlock you described, that indeed happen relatively
often.

--ADZ8S6Yea/b683e6

--ADZ8S6Yea/b683e6--