Date:      Sun, 28 Aug 2011 15:27:09 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Dick Hoogendijk <dick@nagual.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portmaster -a -B -d

--------------enig415A961B21E7B95EFC535B4E

On 28/08/2011 13:38, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
> A few days back I did a "portmaster -a -B -d" but later on I found out
> that one port (www/eAccelerator) complained about being compiled for
> another version of PHP (which by then was updated by portmaster). I
> expected portmaster to take care of these kind of dependencies. Where a=
> I wrong in this assumption?

eaccelerator is an oddity.  It only works properly with the version of
PHP it was compiled against.  Unfortunately there isn't a good automatic
mechanism in ports to say "recompile this port, because something it
depends on was upgraded."  It's like something that depends on a shlib
in that respect, that needs to be rebuilt when the shlib ABI version
changes.

While it might be possible to do hackish things, like include the PHP
pkg version string into the eaccelerator pkg version, on the whole the
correct solution seems to be to reinstall eaccelerator each time PHP
gets a significant upgrade.  Ideally ports committers should bump the
eaccelerator PORTREVISION to make ports management tools do that
automatically, but if not, you're going to have to remember to do it by
hand.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20