Date:      Fri, 07 Jul 2000 14:50:06 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Lint^^ <lint@satan.reject.org>
Cc:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, lint@satan.dyn.reject.org, cjm2@earthling.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, wilko@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make: don't know how to make dwarf1.c. Stop

Lint^^ wrote:

> the old standard method is working fine for me... i would also like to
> know if one method is `better' than the other, as i have no problem
> sticking with the old method...

I have a new version of 4.0-Stable running. The
buildkernel/installkernel sequence worked. Thinking of it as a
crosscompile made sense since I hadn't done a installworld before
configing and making the kernel.

My sequence was

1 make buildworld
	configing and trying to make a kernel didn't work here.
2 make buildkernel KERNEL=OPAL
3 make installkernel KERNEL=OPAL
4 reboot to single user mode with /OPAL -s
4a saved /kernel and moved /OPAL to /kernel and all of the chflags.
5 make installworld
6 mergemaster
7 cd /dev and did a ./MAKEDEV all just in case :)
8 reboot

I don't know if some of these steps were overkill but they worked.
There are obvious cd's missing.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/bomber.jpg