Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2006 20:41:58 +0100
From:      Gerrit =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=FChn?= <gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: well-supported SATA RAID card?

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:30:48AM -0500, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> The 3Ware cards work really well under FreeBSD. I have dozens I have
> been using for some time and they work and work well. Highly
> recommended.  Over the years I am sure I have replaced a few dozen
> dead drives and have not (knock on wood) had any issues rebuilding
> degraded sets.  Another card I have been recently using is the ARECA.
> Its quite a fast card and has a similar set of management utilities.
> I have not been using it as long as the 3ware, but it seems pretty good too.

I have also good experiences with various 3ware cards. However, their RAID5
doesn't seem to be /that/ fast. I'm also using a Highpoint 1820A for some
weeks now. It's cheaper, the Raid5 is faster and I've had no troubles so
far (though others here obviously had).
BTW: Are the ARECA cards different from the ones sold by TekRAM using an
ARECA chip?

cu
  Gerrit