Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 10:51:02 +0200
From:      Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Anders.Beckman@midcon.se: Y2K info]

----- Forwarded message from Anders Beckman <Anders.Beckman@midcon.se> -----
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 10:28:46 +0200
To: wosch@FreeBSD.org
From: Anders Beckman <Anders.Beckman@midcon.se>
Subject: Y2K info

Hi!

I read your Y2K page - a readable and informative page, but I disagree
strongly with the statement under What you can do:

"There are tests that you can perform to see how your system will respond.
Set your clock to a few minutes before midnight on
New Year's Eve and watch the system time. Your system should display the
year as 2000 and not 1900. If the year is displayed
incorrectly, then you will have plenty of time to update your hardware.
Operating your organizations information systems under
their normal daily load with the clock set forward can provide valuable
insight into your vulnerablility to year 2000 issues."

This test will not reveal BIOS/RTC problems in hardware. And setting the
clock forward in systems in daily use may result in a lot of unneccessary
problems (such as bad billing dates, file backup confusion etc etc etc).

Mail me if you need more detailed comments!

Yours  /  Anders
Anders Beckman                  tel +4618 - 124200
Midcon AB                       fax +4618 - 124225
Box 3024
S-750 03  Uppsala, Sweden

----- End forwarded message -----

--