Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 14:40:29 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LINT not up to date

David O'Brien wrote...
> > #error "SCSI_DELAY is in milliseconds, not seconds!  Please use a larger value"
>
> I am kinda wondering why this gratuitous change even took place.  Couldn't
> the *software* made the conversion?  Why the change on the user interface
> (of kernel building)?

It isn't "gratuitous" at all.  The bus settle delay affects more than just
booting, it also affects how long we freeze the SIM queue after a bus reset
and how long we freeze a device queue after a BDR.  Some folks may have
devices that don't need really long bus settle delay, and may not want
their machines hung for a second after a BDR or bus reset.

We could have changed the option name, which would be an interface change.
Kernel building "interfaces", if you can call them that, change all the
time.  We've already changed a number of them in the CAM switchover.

> People thing easily in seconds.  Not so well in milliseconds.  I could
> see someone getting confused on how many millisecs in a second and use
> "800" which would fly under your radar, but be even quicker than the
> default.  (it's not too late to change back... :))

I don't think it'll turn out to be a big problem, really.  If folks can't
figure out how many milliseconds are in a second, I question what they're
doing using a computer in the first place, much less FreeBSD. :)

If enough people are really upset about this, we can make it something like
CAM_BUS_SETTLE_DELAY instead.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry