Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 20:54:00 +0200
From:      Manuel Enrique Garcia Cuesta <megarcia@intercom.es>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Manuel Enrique Garcia Cuesta <megarcia@intercom.es>, Daniel Domengeaux <freebsd@supa-fly.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: internet keyboards

=== Mark Ovens escribia
(Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 06:49:14PM +0100):

> On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 07:11:10PM +0200, Manuel Enrique Garcia Cuesta wrote:
> > === Daniel Domengeaux escribia
> > (Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 11:33:28PM -0500):
> >
> > > i recently bought a new MS internet keyboard (it was cheaper than the
> > > logitech and i'm broke) and after searching around the net i can't seem to
> > > find anything on how to use the extra keys at the top of the keyboard. i
> > > know i can just use xmodmap to get them to do stuff in X but i don't know
> > > what scancodes they generate or even how to figure it out. i did find a
> > > bit of info on the freebsd-hackers list but it didn't seem to help me
> > > much. if anyone has gotten these working or can atleast point me to some
> > > info to get me started it would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > 	Just as a sidepoint: it's ok if you do want to use
> > such a keyboard, but maybe cost is not really the hindrance
> > you think it is; I have been able to find several second-hand
> > IBM keyboards, "buckling spring" ones, for less than $6 a
> > piece. It's probably a matter of personal preferences, but
> > for me there is no better feel than the one they have. And
> > besides they lack the damned "windows keys", what means the
> > gaps are where they should be and the space bar has the right
> > size. And indeed, a useless key that doesn't exist will not
> > get in your way, either.
>
> The "Windows" keys are not useless under FreeBSD; in X at least, I've got
> them doing some useful things. See
> http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/x.html#AEN3370 for details.

	Neat, I think I will find some use for them at work. I
suppose if I were not hating them so much I would have done
it already :)

> > It's sadly obvious that modern PC
> > keyboards are not designed with Unix users in mind. Then again
> > why do I wonder ...
> >

> Well, swapping the Ctrl and Caps Lock keys is easy in the console and X.

	No, actually I have never used one of those keyboards
(not that I can remember). I was rather thinking of how dull and
uncomfortable PC keyboards "feel" nowadays, and the fact that the
extra keys have expelled out of their natural place other keys
that, at least in the Spanish layout, are quite important. For
instance, I need to hit Alt to get "{" and "}". I have no
problem with it, I have grown with it. But when I use a windows
keyboard my thumb mercilessly lands on one of the extra keys
and my {}s go nowhere. Quite a suboptimal situation for writing
C or awk or the likes. Once again, maybe it's just me.

> > > Thanks
> > > -daniel
> > > pimp@supa-fly.org
> >
> > 					Manuel Garcia