Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2014 17:22:02 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        paul beard <paulbeard@gmail.com>
Cc:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: what should uname -v be telling me here?

paul beard <paulbeard@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:
>> You need to find out where /boot resides (in my case,
>> it's on ad4s1a, which is mounted at /) to identify the boot
>> device (or to be precise, the device the kernel has been read
>> from).
>

> I keep thinking this should be something you ought to be able to
> discover without being on console. I realize the BIOS can't be
> interrogated but if I knew that the active kernel was ad3:/boot/kernel
> or ad2:/boot/kernel, it would be useful. Kind of surprised that
> doesn't appear anywhere in dmesg or that it can't be read out of
> somewhere.

The boot procedure has to load and boot the kernel without having the
kernel available to create the device nomenclature. [Kind of obvious,
if you think about it.] So interrogating the firmware is the only way
the kernel *could* know where it was booted from. That's impossible
in the BIOS world, and even if there were a table indicating it in an
ACPI table, that would only tell you which disk the bootloader came
from, which isn't necessarily where the kernel came from.