Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 2002 09:12:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Barney Wolff <barney@tp.databus.com>
Cc:        Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is UPnP good for anything?

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Barney Wolff wrote:

> Don't.  Just get an ADSL modem, and use ipfw + natd (and PPPoE if
> necessary) to do anything the router would have done.
>
> If you really don't want to use FreeBSD for this task, the "cable/dsl"
> routers that talk to the modem via Ethernet and have 4 switched ports
> are so cheap that there is no reason to go for an integrated box.
> I just paid US$29.95 for a D-Link DI-604 for my daughter.

I got one of the Linksys wireless/Cable/DSL gateways..

It has 4 wired ports, a separate ethernet port for the dsl modem
and a wireless AP.

A friend bought a Siemens. almost identical specs.

it's more expensive at $150 but it means that everyting can be linked
together.. you can even find some with a printer port too. The firewall is
very basic.. it does NAT so only incoming sessions it already expects
(via  a  setup table) can come in..

both compaq and HP have one, as doDlink and several others.