Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2001 10:20:59 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: More PPPoE DSL

The ICS LAN setup that came with Win2K:
"Network and Dial-up Connections\LAN" with the gateway set to 192.168.0.1
I've tried assigning fixed IPs to each Win2K machine as well as "obtain IP
automatically" for the networked machines. With the ISDN setup, everthing
works 100% either way. With the DSL, I have the two nagging problems....
All machines can ping each other just fine.

With the BSDs, the /etc/hosts define the addresses as static for each
machine on the LAN. The BSDs' find the gateway machine fine and is
identified as 192.168.0.1 and /etc/resolv.conf sees it as the nameserver too.

At 11:01 AM 11.18.2001 -0500, Matthew Emmerton wrote:

>> ...yes, exactly why when time permits, I will go back to configuring the
>> PPPoE for the FreeBSD for all the reasons you mention, plus other
>benefits.
>> I've tried the DSL setup on several Win2K machines with same "bugs" as a
>> result... too bad, it was working so well.
>>
>> Just wondered if anyone else experienced this with Win2K as a gateway to
>> the BSD.
>
>What software are you using on the Win2K machines to share the internet
>connection?
>
>--
>Matt Emmerton

Best regards,