Date:      Wed, 03 Mar 1999 14:15:25 -0800
From:      GVB <gvb@tns.net>
To:        jef53313@bayou.uh.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compat_2_2

At 03:47 PM 3/3/99 -0600, you wrote:
>On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Dennis Ostrovsky wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, GVB wrote:
>>

>> > One is the fact that when I go to /usr/src and do a make install
compat_2_2
>> > it fails on all three machines in three different places. Someone had
>>
>> Why did you do that? The correct way to go from 2.2.8 to 3.1 is "make
>> upgrade". You don't need to make compat_2_2, that's taken care of for you
>> during the upgrade.
>>
>> > The second problem is when I went from 2.2.8 -> 3.1 as soon I was done
with
>> > the upgrade and rebooted the machine with a new kernel my old
master.passwd
>> > files did NOT work.  It seems that the default encryption method has
>> > changed?  Because on a 3.0 -> 3.1 upgrade the passwd files worked fine..
>>
>> Not sure why that is, I didn't experience this. Were you using kerberos or
>> something with 2.2.8?
>>
>> Dennis

>>     Dennis Ostrovsky ** Department of Chemistry ** Yale University
>>
>> E-mail: den@master.chem.yale.edu     WWW: http://pantheon.yale.edu/~do33

>At some poi9nt in time, FreeBSD's crypt() changed the war it encodes
>passwords.  IIRC, passwords should now look something like $1$ followed by
>the salt and the actual encrypted password. Take a look at the database
>and make sure the envrypted passwords are the correct format.  I had
>problems following my upgrade wherby some a.out executables that had
>passwords suddenly wanted to start reading the old password format.  If
>you didn't upgrade properly I suppose it could also be that your login
>program is using the older form of crypt(), which I seem to remember
>seeing is still available.
>
>Jonathan Fosburgh
>Geotechnician
>Snyder Oil Corporation
>Houston, TX
>
>Home Page:
>http://www.geocities.com/vienna/1498
>Manager, FreeBSD Webring:
>http://www.geocities.com/vienna/1498/computer/freebsdring.html
>ICQ: 32742908
>AIM: Namthorien

Ok, so my upgrade from 2.2.8 to 3.1 upgraded the crypt() stuff, but now,
because of this upgrade, none of my old master.passwd files work.. and on
systems with thousands of users I cant sit here and change every users
password.. there has got to be a way to make it backwards compatible, or
convert old to new.. any ideas?

GVB