Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 2004 08:42:17 +0300
From:      "Ari Suutari" <ari@suutari.iki.fi>
To:        "OpenMacNews" <freebsd-ipfw.20.openmacews@spamgourmet.com>, "freebsd-ipfw" <freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: does NATd _prevent_ use of stateful ipfw rules w/ keep-state?

Hi,

> If using NATd, am I relegated to a _static_ ruleset, w/ no ability to use
stateful rules?

    I'm running at least two machines with both natd and some stateful rules
(for udp traffic)
    Works ok.

    The way I did is to have two rules, for example:

    check-state
    allow udp from internal_network/24 to any 53 keep-state
    allow udp from public-ip-address to any 53 keep-state

    I *don't* have a rule for my internal interface which passes all traffic
    (ie. 'pass ip from any to any via internal-interface-name'
    which seems to be common setup, I use the 'via' keyword of ipfw
    only on anti-spoofing rules at beginning of my ruleset, all other
    rules are then based on ip-addresses only).

    The setup above creates two dynamic rules when packets are
    going thru. One maches the packet before nat and one after.

        Ari S.