Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 2013 21:08:12 +0200
From:      Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
To:        freebsd-stable List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS Panic after freebsd-update

Am 01.07.2013 um 20:56 schrieb "Steven Hartland" =
<killing@multiplay.co.uk>:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Sipe" <cscotts@gmail.com>
>> So I realize that neither 8.2-RELEASE or 8.4-RELEASE are stable, but =
>> ultimately wasn't sure where the right place to go for discuss 8.4 =
is?
>> Beyond the FS mailing list, was there a better place for my question? =
I'll
>> provide the other requested information (zfs outputs, etc) to =
wherever
>> would be best.
>> This is a production machine (has been since late 2010) and after =
tweaking
>> some ZFS settings initially has been totally stable. I wasn't =
incredibly
>> closely involved in the initial configuration, but I've done at least =
one
>> binary freebsd-update previously.
>> Before this computer I had always done source upgrades. ZFS (and the
>> thought of a panic like the one I saw this weekend!) made me leery of =
doing
>> that. We're a small business--we have this server, an offsite backup
>> server, and a firewall box. I understand that issues like this are =
are
>> going to happen when I don't have a dedicated testing box, I just =
like to
>> try to minimize them and keep them to weekends!
>> It sounds like my best bet might be to add a new UFS disk, do a clean
>> install of 9.1 onto that disk, and then import my existing ZFS pool?
>=20
> There should be no reason why 8.4-RELEASE shouldn't work fine.
>=20
> Yes ZFS is continuously improving and these fixes / enhancements first =
hit
> head / current and are then MFC'ed back to stable/9 & stable/8, but =
that
> doesn't mean the release branches should be avoided.
>=20
> If you can I would try booting from a 8.4-RELEASE cdrom / iso to see
> if it can successfully read the pool as this could eliminate out of =
sync
> kernel / world issues.

Personally, I find mfsbsd much more practical for booting up a =
"rescue-environment".
Also, if 8.4 does not work for some reason - maybe try 8.3?

I have quite a lot of systems running 8.3 (and even more with 9.1) but =
none of them do zfsroot and none of them stresses ZFS very much.
I've so far resisted the urge to update to 8.4.

The reason why I would be interested to run zfs-root is that sometimes, =
you only have two hard drives and still want to do ZFS on it.

Ideally, though, FreeBSD would be able to do something like SmartOS (one =
of the few features I kind of like about it=85), where you boot from an =
USB-image (or ideally, via (i)PXE) but use all the available space for =
data and (3rd-party) software. That way, you always have something to =
boot from, but can maximize the usage of spindles and space.
A basic FreeBSD install is, I think, less than 0.5G these days - I =
really hate wasting two 300 (or even 600) GB SAS hard disks just for =
that.