Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 13:32:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Shawn Ramsey <shawn@luke.cpl.net>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mount -o async

> > > Ok, I want to live dangerously, and run the disks with async writes.
> > >
> > > Do I have to put mount -u -o async /usr in a rc.local, or can I put an option in /etc/fstab?
> > >

> > I did this on a news server due to what was said on this list - and one in
> > four crashes ended up in a completely corupted drive.
> >

>  Hmmm.. are these crashes due to things like power-outages, or
> something else?

I once just shut a FreeBSD mounted asynchronously just to see what would
happen. I did have to fsck manually, but other than that, everything
seemed fine. Mounting a news spool asynchronosly is a very good idea,
assuming you are not feeding a lot of sites, and just have mostly readers.
It would really depend on how important your news spool is to you. For
some losing it wouldnt be a big deal.