Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2006 13:28:51 -0400
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
Cc:        fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   single disk vs. RAID5 (amr)

[Subject changed]

п'ятниця 09 червень 2006 13:20, Scott Long написав:
> > I never benchmarked the speed on the single drives, other than to compare
> > with my RAID5 array (which puzzlingly always loses to a single drive, but
> > that's a different story).
>
> All depends on access alignment and cache behaviour.

Well, this does not tell me much :-( I compare a single disk vs. a RAID5 array
of 6 such disks joined using amr(4). I tried to figure out the best
FS-parameters for the RAID, but whatever I tried, it was always quite
inferior to the the single drive -- on both reading and writing.

Perhaps, adding the battery-backup option to the RAID card would improve
things, but I expected it to be faster even without it.

	-mi